The 30-unit, two-year Master of Arts in Theatre Arts provides training for students wishing to expand their knowledge and increase their competence in the fields of history and literature of the theatre, acting, directing, theatre design, and production; seeking teaching credentials where the Master’s Degree is required; and preparing for further graduate work elsewhere. Students must meet University departmental requirements, and must normally have completed an undergraduate major in Theatre Arts. Consideration is given to students with a strong undergraduate minor or other relevant work. Admission to the program is based on evaluation of a student’s previous work and supporting materials.
Step 1: Apply to the Division of Graduate Studies
Admission procedures and eligibility requirements are available from the Division of Graduate Studies and SF State Bulletin (Catalog):
- Introduction to Graduate Studies
- Domestic Applicants FAQ
- International Applicants FAQ
Step 2: Apply to the School of Theatre & Dance
Application requirements include:
- Copy of all college transcripts.
- Undergraduate degree with a major in theatre, or equivalent experience.
- 3 letters of recommendation.
- Relevant materials supporting your application.
- Statement of purpose.
Program Requirements and Curriculum
For graduates, the normal load during spring and fall is from nine to twelve units per semester and seven units during the summer. For international students immigration regulations require a minimum academic load of twelve units for undergraduates and eight units for graduates for spring, fall and summer semesters. Additional details about the Master of Arts in Theatre Arts are available from the SF State Bulletin (Catalog).
Fees and Expenses
- Estimated Per Semester Resident Tuition and Fees: $3,858
- Estimated 2-year Resident Tuition and Fees: $15,432
Nonresident (U.S. and International)
In addition to the estimated regular tuition and registration fees listed above, nonresidents of the State of California must pay an additional $372 per unit (or fraction) for nonresident tuition fee. The total nonresident tuition fee paid per term will be determined by the number of units taken.
- Estimated Per Semester Nonresident Tuition and Fees: $7,206
- Estimated 2-year Nonresident Tuition and Fees: $28,824