Fall 2020 Welcome from Director Kim Schwartz
Welcome Back, School of Theatre & Dance Students!
As we embark upon this very different landscape of what a university experience can become during a time of crises, I am thankful to be a part of this community. My colleagues have inspired me and challenged me all summer long. They have all been working hard to ensure that we are able to serve your needs as students in our program as successfully as possible.
There will be hiccups and issues and I know we can and will face them with grace and compassion for each other. These past months and the following ones will (or already have) certainly lead us to a place of mourning the things that we have lost; the physical and emotional losses to our arts have been devastating. However, there will also be opportunities for learning so many new things, discovering ways to envision dance and theatre in spaces and ways we never thought possible.
Please keep your hearts and minds open during this time. We will emerge stronger on the other side of this.
A few pieces of business:
- The New Curriculum – The new curriculum refers to a new series of courses in the Theatre Arts major core. Students entering SF State or entering the major in Fall 2020 or thereafter will follow the new curriculum. This has confused many continuing students, but to clarify, if you were already a major and are continuing in the Fall 2020 semester, it does not apply to you. However, you WILL benefit from newly designed history courses, which will have a more global focus, instead of a western-world focus.
- THA 403 is Missing – It is true, 403 is not going to be offered anymore. We have removed 403 from the Theatre Arts core. Each semester there will be at least one course listed as a substitute for 403 so that continuing student will be able to satisfy their requirements. See your advisor or stay tuned to the newsletter for those announcements.
- Securing Course Waivers for Transfer Students – if you are an incoming transfer student and believe you have taken a course at your community college that is similar to one of the SF State requirements, please directly ask the instructor of the SF State course to consider waiving you from the course. You will need to provide your CC unofficial transcript and the instructor will likely have some questions for you about what you learned in the course you took previously. You will need to secure their signature on your degree planning worksheet for proof.
- Productions – Yes, we are doing productions this semester. There is a Dance production, a main stage theatre production and two smaller theatre productions. Information about auditions for the theatre productions are on our website. If you are cast, you DO get units for participating the shows! It might be a good way to earn some units without having to jump into too many academic courses!
- Get Involved – We have TWO student groups; one represents each of our majors. Student Dance Alliance (SDA) represents Dance and Players Club (PC) represents Theatre Arts. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to participate!
Keep in touch – first always check your SF State email…or have it bounce to a personal account.
Instagram - @sfsutheatredance
Facebook Group – SFSU School of Theatre & Dance
Newsletter – sign up
Finally, I will be posting regular drop-in Zoom hours and the School of Theatre & Dance office staff will also be holding regular hours. Please do not hesitate to stop by and say hi or ask questions.
All the best this semester….hang on, this one’s gonna be a bit wild!
Director, School of Theatre & Dance
Professor, Technical Direction
San Francisco State University